Airsoft Addict

Forum for airsoft fanatics

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pakistani cricketers' families shocked by jail terms

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr007

PostSubject: Pakistani cricketers' families shocked by jail terms   Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 am

Mohammad Asif, Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir Mohammad Asif, Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir plotted to deliberately bowl no-balls
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

* Cricketers jailed for fixing scam
* Profiles: Pakistan cricketers trial
* How Pakistan cricket betting scam unfolded

Relatives of the Pakistan cricketers convicted in London over a "spot-fixing" scam have expressed shock at the players' jail sentences. But some cricketing figures have said they have no sympathy with the players.

Former captain Salman Butt, 27, and fast bowler Mohammad Asif, 28, were found guilty on Tuesday of conspiracy to cheat and conspiracy to accept corrupt payments. Another bowler, Mohammad Amir, admitted the charges before the trial.

The three plotted to deliberately bowl no-balls during a Lord's Test match against England last summer.

On Thursday, Mr Justice Cooke sentenced Butt to 30 months , Asif to 12 months and Amir to six months imprisonment. The three players have also been ordered to pay compensation towards prosecution costs.

The International Cricket Council had already banned the cricketers from playing for five years.

Cricket agent Mazhar Majeed was jailed for two years and eight months.
Salman Butt's father Zulfiqar [to Express Channel]

My son has been implicated and made a scapegoat.

I will produce evidence and documents to prove what is really happening in this case.
Salman Butt's sister Khadija

The punishment is unfair; it is shocking. Our brother is innocent.

We talked to him this morning. He was very upset and asked us to pray for him... His crime is that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Salman Butt's sister Rubab

My mum is not well. His wife, ever since she had the surgery with the baby - they haven't been eating, they keep crying - there's tremendous stress and there's a lot of tension.

But it's quite natural of course because he's my only brother, he's my mum's only son; he means everything to us.

And he's in a foreign country, he's all alone, none of us is there with him and it's quite painful.
Mohammad Amir's mother Nasim Akhtar [to AFP]

My son is innocent and he did the no ball at the asking of the captain.

I spoke to him two days ago and he asked me to pray for his acquittal...

I'm ill after this case, suffering from several diseases and I may not be here (when he gets out).

My prayers are with my son and only Allah will do justice with us.

legal steroids
k2 incense
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pakistani cricketers' families shocked by jail terms
Page 1 of 1